The General tab asks for basic information regarding the product category:
- Category Name
- Description: text that will describe this category on the category page, to be viewed by the customers in the store front of the shop.
- Meta Tag Title: Title for the search engine.
- Meta Tag Description: a summary of the category to describe the category page to search engines.
- Meta Tag Keywords: similar to meta tag description, but asks for a single keyword to describe the product.
- Parent Category: Categories are arranged in a hierarchical structure; with the parent category always on top. You may choose to create a category under a parent category, turning it into a sub-category. In the category list the category will be displayed as "Parent Category > Sub-Category". If "None" is selected, the category created will be a parent category.
- SEO Keyword: A keyword that will be included in the category url for search engine optimization.
- Image: Select that main image for the product page and the thumbnail for product listing. See Image Manager for more information on how to upload an image using the image manager tool.
- Columns: This number controls how many sub-categories are displayed when selecting the parent category.
- Top: Checking this section will display this category in the top menu of every page. If no selection is made, it will not be displayed.
- Sort Order: This sort order determines the position of the category in the menu. A sorting order of 1 would be displayed before sorting order of 2,3, and so on.
- Status: Selecting "enabled" makes the category publicly available in the store front. Selecting "disabled" will hide the category from the store front, but will still be available for editing purposes in the administration.